After weeks – or even months of preparations, the submission of papers and other documents for the Study of the United States Summer Institute on New Media for Student Leaders (SUSI 2010), after all the conversations thru Facebook – asking the why’s and how’s on a certain topic (but mostly about the visa issues), the team of student leaders from the Philippines finally (we) made it to the top! We were chosen because of our leadership skills. (I dunno if I really possess that attitude? Maybe at some point, there's a leadership in me. Or I should call it bossy-ness? Hmmn.)
Alongside with the other participants: John Patrick Allanegui, Edgar Vincent Antolino, Nhel Kevin Cacho, Kathryn Grace Cruz, Sedfrey Lacsamana and Jan Victor Mateo, I am very flattered and overwhelmed for this opportunity that the US Department of State had given to me. This is another moment in my life that I am very and should be thankful for (and definitely proud of!). It was not easy to meet the requirements for and pass this program, but now we can say that “yes! We definitely made it!”

And so this is my second time to go out of the country (the first one last year was for the Japan East-Asia Network of Exchange Students and Youths - JENESYS), but my first time to be in the United States - the Land of Milk and Honey (as what Sed have said). It has always been a pleasure to me to ride by the plane, haha! The trip we had going to the US was a little bit tiring – 18 hours or so, (with so many connecting flights!) and so we survived! Haha!From the Philippines, we took an international plane flight via Delta Airlines (and all of our trips were by Delta Air!) going to Narita, Japan, then Japan to Detroit Metro Airport then from Detroit to St. Louis Lambert Airport. That’s one heck of a journey if you would think, but for me, I enjoyed it! Haha!
I spent most of the time by sleeping and sometimes, my eyes were stapled at the plane’s window, as if I can see anything more aside from the sky and clouds. I wish we were aboard by Japan Airlines from the Philippines going to Japan, for what reason? Because JAL has this mini-TV in front of the passenger, and so the passenger has the leeway to watch any program or music he'd like.Arriving at St. Loius Lambert Airport – we were welcomed by Drew Seib and Cary Bryant. I immediately saw both of them, holding a hand-written banner that says “Welcome: SUSI New Media Participants” (something like that). I've seen Drew on his Facebok profile before, not knowing we have the same height, haha!
After our hi's and hello's with the two, we head off then to Carbondale, we saw the famous St. Louis gateway arch, then we took a stop at Dairy Queen, or so we called it DQ. Everyone’s tired (also Drew and Cary?), so we must have some rest for a while. Everyone lined up to the counter and Nhel gave his order first and then me. We were all in empire state of shock when our order was given to us! Some of us ordered “Blizzard Treats” for medium size, not knowing that what we’ve ordered was comparable to the large size we have in the Philippines! Then everyone’s reaction was “Oh, my God”.
I should have ordered for a small size because I can't take the B'Treats by myself alone because it's very big, and so I need some help. I ended up sharing spoons and the Blizzards with each other, taking turns to have some scoop of the B'Treats just to finish the MEDIUM-size I have. (I admit, the Blizzard Treats strawberry flavor was definitely a slice of heaven!)We reached the Boomer Hall II (dormitory), inside the Southern Illinois University Carbondale campus. Drew and Cary toured us at the hall and poof! there's a kitchen for us, haha.
The two left us at the hall. We took rest, take a shower, changed clothes, then we decided to roam around the campus. I was surprised to see that the sun sets here at around 8:30-9:00. 'Cause in the Philippines, it's around 6:30 and the sun's all set.After an hour or so, the other participants from Malaysia came in. Exchange of hi's and hello's happened, then the Philippine team decided to call it a day - a day of adventures!














No comments:
Post a Comment